Thursday, October 27, 2011

Days 6-8 PART 1

Holy smokes, this blog is already falling behind! Whoooops! In the last few days the sunshine has decided to abandon Australia for a bit. Bummer! Oh well, I guess it can't be sunny here the whole time I'm here, right?

A brief recap of the boating adventure? ...It was so fun! I loved it. It was b-e-a-u-tiful out, so sunny and perfect. Seeing all the birds busy out in the water and along its edges was really neat. Beautiful islands that looked like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell should live there. I think we found Neverland! We stopped for fish and chips, the most delicious I've ever had. We stopped a second time where we tied up and relaxed and had a cup of tea. The ride back was fun - it was fast, sunny and bumpy << I approve, it was like an amusement park only with a better view!

We also went on a really interesting bushwalk that night and saw a huge hive of bees. We didnt get too close, they were nestled into a trunk but you could hear the low hum of hundreds of bee's from a few feet away. After scaling down a steep hill with only the light from our headlamps (yes, I wore one! :b) we finalllly got to these huge, HUGE beautiful rocks that were so smooth on top, but as we climbed underneath to look for critters you could see the rock was dimpled and cavernous. The night bushwalk was concluded with a good snack of oreos! Mmmmmm.

Monday was hot and beautiful, we went to Somersby Falls in hopes of seeing some cool birds, it would have been a good opportunity to experiment with Pete's new birding lens. One downside...NO BIRDS! The waterfall was beautiful though. It felt really nice to stand in it, surrounded by cool water and beautiful shades of green. When we left, the house across the street from where the car was parked had some blue wrens in the yard. They seem like very busy birds, with very expressive tail feathers...lots of twitching! OH! I also saw my first wild reptile, a water dragon. (very cool!)




---- You still need to hear about our day in Sydney, and I promise I'm going to tell you. SUSPENSE! I'll finish the post tonight... :]

-Maureen


2 comments: